Friday, September 28, 2012

Gator Parties and Vanity Sizing

In the morning, getting ready for work, I listen to KWGS, the NPR radio station housed at the University of Tulsa.  I'm not the sort who wants to know the weather for the day.  I have taken care of getting that information the night before on the 10:00 p.m. news.
I do like knowing what is going on in the world.  So KWGS gives me enough of a taste of world events and Tulsa events in the 30 minutes or so I have to listen in the morning.
This week I found out on KWGS about Gator Parties and Vanity Sizing.  Who knew?
A guy down in Florida is hosting Gator Parties (for a fee) for kids' birthdays.  Can you believe it?  The idea is that kids come for a party, the owner of the alligators tapes the gators' mouths closed and kids can "play" with the alligators.  Oh my gosh!  I just don't know what to say about that, but I hope people come to their senses and go back to cake and ice cream and Pin the Tail on the Donkey!!
Now about Vanity Sizing.  This is a clever, manipulative method for making all of us, men and women, believe that we are a size 8 when we are really a size 12 or as the reporter telling the story....was he really a size 36 waist or something like a 40 waist?.
It works like this.  Clothing manufacturers have tagged clothes with smaller size tags although the piece of clothing itself is actually manufactured with larger patterns.  The news story did not say which companies are doing this and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure I want to know.  Talk about vanity!!  I have my share of it.
Being in the retail business, I am not certain whether I should praise the creativity of Gator Parties and Vanity Sizing or stand aghast at how clever entrepreneurs can pull the wool over all of us.
I just want to assure you that when you come to Sweet Tooth and you try on a Kameleon Ring or we weigh out a pound of candy, we are not "Vanity Sizing" your purchase.  And Gator Parties are not going to become the latest and greatest theme for our Candy Buffets.
I am now in the midst of researching one other news story I heard this week.  What do you know about Doc McStuffins...a "doctor" doll which talks and diagnoses your symptoms.  Where is House when we need a reality check on the world of medicine?  When is a doll just a doll?

No comments:

Post a Comment