Thursday, January 24, 2013

We Came, We Saw, We Ordered

We have been back from the Gift Market since Monday and I am managing to clean up the overload of catalogues which we brought back and were everywhere in my so-called office.  It normally takes me about 1-3 months to get that job done, but I have been more determined this time to deal with the mess.  And I have learned to say "no" when someone at the Market pokes a catalogue in my face.
It was a good trip.  I shouldn't really say this....after all, I am a retailer.....but I managed to avoid the knee-jerk, impulse purchases.  At the June Market Jeff and I ordered some really cool overlays which you wear over your boots.  We thought them cool, our staff and our daughter absolutely abhorred them.  So we cancelled.  And that was a good thing, too!
Our staff came for 2 days at the Gift Market.  Oneday they focused on the Temporaries...vendors who have smaller booths on floors 12 and 13 of the World Trade Center.  And they found us a good Fudge maker.  We think that we will be ordering that yummy, soft, smooth and delicious fudge some time soon.
We debated over jewelry lines and like the Survivor show, we did vote some gift and jewelry lines out of our store.  It is always necessary to re-invent yourself when you are in retail.  And try to avoid being the 15th store on the block with the same gift line!
Soon we will be showing our new purchases on Facebook, website and email newsletter.  It really is fun to open up a box of brand new merchandise.
One of our staff asked me what I thought the best "find" was at the Market.  In addition to Fudge, I said RADZ...a new candy toy item which we all adored.  I never thought I'd rank a candy item as the Number One Best Find for Sweet Tooth.
Stay tuned.  I'll be writing more about our trip.  I do want you to know that we had no horror stories about hotels, stolen cars or trips to the hospital.  Uneventful in that way and yet a whole lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment