Thursday, October 17, 2013

5,000: a magical number

What is the magic number of readers of a blog?  According to the stats on this blog, we have passed 5,000 page views.
For me, that is pretty exciting.  There must be some people who write blogs who feel like I do.....is what we have to say worth someone's time to read the blog?
Now please be careful if you want to reply to that question.  Be gentle and realize that writing this blog must be like news anchors who sit facing a camera and never see an audience.  That is kind of a weird feeling.
Years ago I was part of a small panel being filmed for a television program.  The interviewer was there and I think 3 of us were set to talk about theatre in San Diego.
Somewhere in the middle of the program, with absolutely no audience in the room with us, I had a brief moment of panic and seemed to be transported out of my body.  I began watching myself and my fellow panelists....it felt like the Twilight Zone.
When I sit down to write this little blog, I attempt to imagine that I am talking to a friend, someone who is truly interested in what I have to say about our store, our merchandise, our choices, etc.  I've yet to give a name to that imaginary friend, but I feel that he or she has sensitive eyes and a look of concentration.
Because I love musical theatre, all of a sudden I am thinking about the central question in the musical RENT. "How do you measure a year in the life...........How about love?"
I have learned to love writing this little blog and it is my hope that those who read it find something of interest, something which increases the information they have about what it is like to be a small retailer in 2013.
How do I measure that?  Not only by numbers, but by what effort I put into the doing of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment