Wednesday, November 15, 2017

How NAFTA Affects Local Retail

I know I usually write about candy, gift items, events at the store, etc.

However today I came across an interesting article which I thought I would pass along.

The article was about NAFTA, North American Free Trade Agreement, which we are hearing so much about in the news these days.  I wonder if we are thinking whether changes in that agreement will affect local business right here in Tulsa and in our state?

100 U.S.-based trade associations have just sent a letter to U.S. Trade Representative Robert E. Lighthizer, urging him to preserve trucking provisions as related to crossing the U.S. and Mexican border to deliver goods.

The letter explained why the current provisions should stay intact.  If changed, new provisions might have a negative impact on business in the U.S.

Not only do retailers have to be concerned about the impact which recent hurricanes have had on various ports receiving and sending goods.  Now we have to be concerned about potential changes in the NAFTA agreement.

So it's not just me writing about candy and gifts.  It is me writing about RECEIVING candy and gifts in a timely and efficient manner....not to mention increases in costs for all those shipments if the trucking provisions are changed.  Increases in costs for the retailer often turn into increases in costs for the consumer and occasionally loss of jobs in industries which support retail. 

Wow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment