Sunday, November 11, 2012

What is Shopping Music?

For several years now, Jeff and I have had conversations about the music we play in the store.   The debate was on the subject of "What is Shopping Music?"
Years ago, just because Jeff is still a theatre techie at heart, he thought it would be fun, for example, to play Sound Effects at Halloween.  You know, creaking doors, ghosts flying, squealing, etc.  Somehow I felt that such "sounds" would send people straight out the door.  I couldn't imagine that Sound Effects would put people in a shopping mood.
At Christmas time, Jeff liked to find the most unusual holiday music.  It might be lyrics of a humorous type put to familiar Christmas music.  It might be some sort of jazzed up version of "O Holy Night".  It might be dogs barking to the tune of "Jingle Bells" or cats meowing in the spirit of "Here Comes Santa Claus".
Holy cow!  This music would really grate on my nerves.
I spoke up...not unusual for me...and told Jeff that these tunes were not "Shopping Music".
To me, music to shop by are melodies and even lyrics that are familiar to most people.  Shopping Music is songs that cause people to hum the tunes or even quietly sing along under their breath.  Of course, my generation is more likely to remember 50's and 60's rock and roll, which to our parents was music that was quickly turned off when it came on the radio.
In fact, I remember when KBEZ on Tulsa radio played only music, no lyrics.  That was my Mom's favorite station.
Someday I suppose Rap and Alternative and Whatever will worm their way into "Shopping Music" and in some stores now those tunes are perfectly acceptable.
Just the other day I was working at the Gift Register at Sweet Tooth.  I noticed a woman walking around, shopping.  Pretty soon I could hear her humming to the music playing in our store.
Hoorah!  I had triumphed!!  Here was the living proof that my definition of Shopping Music had won over Sound Effects and crazy Christmas lyrics.
And just one more thing.  Have you ever been in a store where NO MUSIC is playing?  It is totally weird, causing me to turn into myself, trying to be as inconspicuous as possible (did I spell that word right?).  We are just too accustomed to having our lives accompanied by sound to live in a completely soundless world.  And as for shopping...I'll take that lady humming to the music any day over the store where quiet is so overwhelmingly loud!

No comments:

Post a Comment