Monday, April 22, 2013

Change is Really Hard

One of my favorite t.v. shows was THE CLOSER.  I really miss that show.  Sometimes if I am just a little bored, nothing special to do, I flip through the t.v. guide and if I see THE CLOSER I watch it.  Give me a break!
I was doing that last night while I attempted to keep  my promise to walk on the treadmill.  On the episode I was watching, Brenda has to make a big decision about her personal life.  With tears in her eyes, she tells Fritz, "Change is really hard."  I could relate to that.
People tell you that change is good, that life is full of change, that taking risks or doing something different is the best thing we can do.  I really believe those words, but I also believe Brenda:  "Change is really hard."
Right now we are moving further into the Social Media Age with a Pinterest Page.  By the time you read this column you will find on our website or Facebook or email newsletter that we now have a Pinterest Page, which our staff person Sarah H. is heading up.
Now for Sarah, change doesn't seem so hard.  She knows Pinterest and likes it and is having fun, so far as I can tell, "pinning" pictures on our page.
I am very enthused about doing this; nonetheless if I had to be the Pinterest Maven it would be "really hard".
Of course I'll be making tons of suggestions and clicking over to see what Sarah has done.  I'm never at a loss for an idea or a suggestion for others!!
Being in retail these days is requiring so much work!!  And it is Social Media which is necessitating us to be a devotee and workhorse for all these websites.  Not only is the world changing but the rapid speed in which it does change is a mental exercise worthy of that treadmill I am attempting to use.  In such a short time, you can be ages behind others who are keeping up with Social Media. 
After 20 years in this business, we are being shot out of our own canon, seeking all those millions of people whose cell phone is connected to their hands, whose heads are down and fingers are tapping on the phone or the Ipad.  If you aren't permanently connected to one of these devices, you are simply a Social Media slug.

No comments:

Post a Comment