Monday, October 20, 2014

A Little Bit of Candy Trivia

I really love the ShopSmart magazine (part of Consumers Report); however I really hate the fact that this magazine from which I get so much information, encourages its readers to shop on line. 
Now shopping online is something I occasionally do as well, although by now you know that I absolutely insist that people shop locally if the item they are searching for is available in town.
You may think that I am simply saying these things because I own an independent retail store....well, you are partly right!!  Nonetheless, I shop locally because I want to see the item, touch the item, determine if it is the size, the color, the shape, the whatever that I will truly be satisfied with.  I can't do that online with most products and I actually would not want to box something up, get a call tag, or try to find out how much postage would be to send it back.  I do enough of that at work....I wouldn't want to do it with personal purchases.  And of course I want immediate action, something that even the internet can't do at this time.
All of that said, ShopSmart did have a few fun "Treat Trivia" which I have to pass on to all readers.
We carry the Oh Henry chocolate bar.  ShopSmart tells me that the name came from an office boy who flirted with the women making candy.  When the women needed something, they were constantly calling out, "Oh, Henry!"  You can't pass up that name for a good ole nostalgia candy bar!
As for candy corn, which I have been selling for 22 plus years, I found out from ShopSmart that originally candy corn was called "chicken feed".  I'm not sure if it is the shape of the candy corn or the fact that it looked like the feed for chickens.  Back in the 1880's when candy corn was first made, someone gave it that name.
Now candy corn is a mellow creme....and ask Jeff what happens if you eat too many pieces in one sitting!!
Of course you should know that PEZ dispensers were originally invented as a breath mint.  "Pez" got its name from the German word for peppermint:  "pfefferminz."  Remember that when you are dispensing chocolate PEZ candy....obviously PEZ has branched out with its flavors.
4th quarter....that's what retailers call October-November-December.  Interest in candy goes way up and it is fun to hear about Candy Trivia. 
Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment