Saturday, August 25, 2012

Happy Birthday Gene Kelley

I have started walking again after work with Jeff.  You'd think that a retailer would get lots of exercise, restocking candy with heavy boxes, checking in new merchandise with heavy boxes and standing up most of the day helping customers.
All that is true, but when you split it up among several people, in a season which isn't really busy, it turns out that vacuuming is the only real exercise you can get.
Now I am not the sort of person who enjoys exercising.  I don't dislike it, but I find it hard to get into the habit.  Once I get going, walking is an okay form of exercising, particularly when you can watch other people or check out how they are keeping up their yards or their houses.
Sometimes we walk around the second level at Tulsa Promenade, but that can get a little tedious if the window displays in the store aren't changed often enough.
My all time favorite "exercise" was the tap class several friends and I took a few years ago.  Our teacher, Robin was the perfect teacher...no pressure, lots of patience, full of stories about her life and no recital!! .  You know, Mary Jane tap shoes are feminine and attractive, but the real professional look is the lace up shoes which bend easily when you need to do certain tap steps.
The sound of taps on a wooden floor is thrilling and sparks a real sense of pleasure.  Learning tap routines is probably a lot easier if you are younger, but when you "get it" and the tap sounds are working and you are moving across the floor, it is just a great feeling.
I miss tap class.  I miss Amy, Jan and Sabrina and some of the other ladies I would see each week. I miss talking to our customer Dee who has been in a tap class for years and has stories about going to New York City and tapping on the streets of Manhattan.  I miss the sound of tapping.  Sometimes I just get out my tap shoes and give them a good look and imagine that there will be a tap class again in the future.
By the way, Happy 100th Birthday to Gene Kelley, one of the greatest tap dancers in the world!!

No comments:

Post a Comment